The Father of American Landscape Architecture: Frederick OlmstedPosted on 1348096066 by admin
Frederick Law Olmsted, was the father of American Landscape Architecture. Here is his brief Bio by Christopher Parker.
Olmsted was born in Hartford, Connecticut, in 1822. Between 1837 and 1857, Olmsted performed a variety of jobs: he was a clerk, a sailor in the China trade, and a farmer, as well as many other professions. He moved to New York in 1848 and in 1857, without having ever had any college education, Olmsted became the superintendent of New York's Central Park
As the superintendent of the park he served as the administrator and then architect-in-chief of Central Park's construction. Next, he served as the administrative head of the US Sanitary Commission, which was the forerunner of the American Red Cross. Finally his last job, before forming his own firm, was that of the manager of the vast Mariposa gold mining estate in California.
In addition to designing for urban life, Olmsted was anxious to preserve areas of natural beauty for future public enjoyment. He served as the first head of the commission in charge of preserving Yosemite Valley and was a leader in establishing the Niagara Reservation, which he planned with Calvert Vaux, in 1887.
Between 1872 and 1895, when he retired, Olmsted's firm carried out 550 projects. These projects included college campuses, the grounds to the US Capitol, and residential communities.
See his work here: http://www.fredericklawolmsted.com/landscapeframe.htm
In late 1895 he suffered a mental breakdown and spent his remaining years resting in an Asylum in Waverly Massachusetts. In August 1903 he died. It was not until 20 years later did people begin to realize the impact and grandness of Olmsted's work, and the vast wonders that he had left the world.
Presented by Desert Greenscapes (702) 529-0377 Landscape Consulting and Water Wise Landscaping for Las Vegas, Henderson and Pahrump Nevada.
An informed Landscape consumer is likely to be a satisfied consumer.Posted on 1348096042 by admin
Desert Greenscapes encourages potential Las Vegas Landscape customers and home owners to follow the BBB guidelines when seeking a Landscape Contractor for Las Vegas, Henderson or Southern Nevada areas. From the BBB: Each year Better Business Bureaus assist millions of consumers with their complaints against businesses, helping to resolve more than two-thirds of the disputes processed. BBBs achieve this impressive resolution rate by serving as impartial arbiters, trusted by consumers and businesses alike. While the public can be quick to assign blame to merchants for disputes that may arise, decades of experience have shown that not every complaint can be attributed to the policies, practices or product of the retailer. At times the consumer bears some, or even all, of the responsibility for the dispute that is at issue. An informed consumer is likely to be a satisfied consumer. Exercising common sense and making wise purchasing decisions will enable a consumer to avoid spending time, energy and/or money to resolve complaints afterwords. To help uphold an ethical marketplace, one that serves the needs of both consumers and businesses, BBBs offer the following tips to consumers:
- Shop with companies you know to be reliable. If you do not know of a reputable merchant that provides a particular service or product, ask family, friends or neighbors for a recommendation. If you are tempted to respond to an offer from a telemarketer or an on line merchant with whom you are not familiar, ask for a paper catalog or brochure to get a better idea of their merchandise and services.
- Always check with the BBB for a reliability report on the business. Such a report will provide you with helpful information about that merchant's marketplace record. If there are serious customer complaints or a consistent pattern of complaints against a retailer, the BBB report will reflect that fact. However, one or two resolved complaints against a business should not be viewed as a negative. (A retailer does NOT have to be a member of the BBB to have a good rating as a business)
- Allow time for comparison-shopping. Shop carefully to get the best selection and price. Once you have a good idea of the price range offered by reputable merchants, you will not be tempted by a price significantly below the marketplace average --an unbelievable, "too good to be true" price. That is typically the mark of a scam artist. Or it can be a sign of a "hit and run" merchant who will vanish long before you are able to pursue satisfaction.
- Carefully read advertisements for details and restrictions. Ads typically include important information relating to expiration of the offer, brand and model of product being advertised, rebate terms and other details that may influence your purchasing decision. Clip the advertisement and have a copy handy when you visit the merchant. Retailers are obligated to meet the terms as advertised; asking them to honor outdated offers or fund rebates that are the purview of the manufacturer is asking for special treatment. Whether the merchant will be able to respond positively out of "good will" may well depend on factors outside of his or her control.
- Ask about return policies and warranty issues before heading for the "check out" lane. Make sure you are okay with the refund and return policies for the items, especially those on sale or clearance. Remember, accepting returns and offering exchanges is a policy decision of the company, not necessarily the right of the consumer (unless the merchandise is defective). Save all receipts, warranty details, packaging materials, and other important materials. These will prove helpful if the merchant does accept returns. Dishonest consumers who return products to stores from which they were not purchased are harming themselves; such practices raise retailers' costs and can lead to higher prices for all shoppers.
- Read and understand any contract you are asked to sign. Make sure that all the blanks are filled in and that any verbal promises made by the salesperson are also in writing. Once both parties have signed the contract, each side has obligations to fulfill. To expect a service provider or merchant to waive contract provisions is probably an unfair assumption. If that business has operated in good faith and is meeting its written promises, it is under no obligation to change the contract terms in order to please a customer who may have changed his or her mind, or failed to carefully read the terms of the contract beforehand.
- If a dispute does arise, complain effectively. Any business is likely to respond positively to a consumer who calmly and politely states the problem, suggests corrective action that will help retain him or her as a satisfied customer, and provides needed documentation (receipt, advertisement, contract, etc.) to support their argument. Angry and abusive consumers who take their complaint to the company seeking revenge, only make the situation worse and more difficult to resolve the real dispute. If you do not receive satisfaction from the first employee that you contact, ask to speak to management or contact the store headquarters. If the business is not responsive, file a complaint with the BBB.
Synthetic Grass Putting Greens, Pavers and LandscapePosted on 1348096031 by admin
Desert Greenscapes Water Wise Grass&Landscaping.; Synthetic Grass and Putting Greens, Pavers and Landscape Designs Las Vegas
Desert Greenscapes Water Wise Grass and Landscaping 3808 Fairway Circle Las Vegas Nevada We offer Great Prices and Excellent Service! Phone: 702-529-0377 Fax: 702-529-0377 Tollfree: 866-302-1663 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: http://lvturf.com Desert Greenscapes is an experienced full service Landscape Design Build firm specializing in Waterwise Landscaping and Quality Synthetic lawns with over 34 years experience in Landscape Designing and Horticulture. Desert Greenscapes is your professional choice for Landscape Designing and Consultations, Perfect Synthetic Grass, Fake Grass, Putting Greens, Child and Pet Friendly Lawns, Water Saving Irrigation Systems, Decorative Pavers, Skilled Concrete and Masonry, Landscape Lighting, Water Features, Automatic Fertilization and Misting Systems. We also perform Quality Seasonal Gardening Services, Artificial Turf Care, Zeolite Applications and one time Landscape Renovations to spruce up your existing yard. We also repair Synlawn and other brands of Fake Grass. Please call me, Mike, to schedule a free, no obligation in home design estimate at (702) 529-0377. Evenings and Saturday appointments cheerfully accepted. Compare our friendly and professional service AND prices to SynLawn..you'll be glad you did! We offer Next Day Perfect Lawn installation- available throughout the Las Vegas Valley area. Enjoy your new lawn this weekend! All major credit cards are accepted. In house, no interest financing available OAC. We are an approved SNWA Water Smart Contractor. Let us help you receive a $1.50 per square foot Xeriscape rebate! We perform all the SNWA Rebate application paperwork including the required photography, plant identifications and plant canopy sizing and related documentation and we electronically submit it to SNWA for NEXT BUSINESS DAY APPROVAL! We can start your SNWA approved landscape project this week! We are a state licensed contractor Lic# 0072996. We are fully Insured and Bonded. To schedule your free design estimate, please call our office at 529-0377 Thank you.